Sherlock Holmes Short Stories Read Along!

The place to talk about web comics, web serials, fanfiction, and any other kind of stories posted on the internet.
Forum rules
Tag your spoilers!
Bee

Re: Sherlock Holmes Short Stories Read Along!

Post by Bee »

InspectorCaracal wrote:
Sat 22 Apr, 2023, 6:03 am

The initial set-up of the situation is a lot like The Red-Headed League, which I don't remember appreciating but it seems super unlikely I wouldn't have noticed. But now that I'm rereading it, and the way it starts off with a reference all the way back to the very beginning of the canon, I wonder if it's maybe based on an early draft of the idea? It's certainly not as good of a story, although it's infinitely more melodramatic.

It sort of reminds me a bit of the Engineer's Thumb - Holmes figures out what's going on, but it ultimately doesn't matter that he did and everything ends tragically. Unlike that story, though, they have the criminal in hand.
This felt so very clumsy, I wonder if Doyle was just trying to meet a deadline and quickly adapted an old draft.

Anyway, this was very forgettable, but could make a good TV episode of even a movie? I liked the idea of the impersonations lol
and
The Society for Evasionary Action in Literature (and Jesus)

QUIRKS.CPP

InspectorCaracal

Post by InspectorCaracal »

Bee wrote:
Sun 23 Apr, 2023, 2:41 am
This felt so very clumsy, I wonder if Doyle was just trying to meet a deadline and quickly adapted an old draft.

Anyway, this was very forgettable, but could make a good TV episode of even a movie? I liked the idea of the impersonations lol
Right? It definitely has the feel of "reusing a worse version of earlier stories" to it.

I hadn't thought of it but yeah this is a very TV-friendly story.

Also, now that I'm thinking about it, and how this story in particular has a strongly sensationalist resolution, I'm much better appreciating the repeated instances of Holmes complaining about Watson's choice of stories, now, lol. I wonder if Doyle was making fun of himself with that a bit.

That's my secret, Cap. I'm always bad at computers.

Bee

Post by Bee »

InspectorCaracal wrote:
Sun 23 Apr, 2023, 3:43 am
Bee wrote:
Sun 23 Apr, 2023, 2:41 am

Right? It definitely has the feel of "reusing a worse version of earlier stories" to it.

I hadn't thought of it but yeah this is a very TV-friendly story.

Also, now that I'm thinking about it, and how this story in particular has a strongly sensationalist resolution, I'm much better appreciating the repeated instances of Holmes complaining about Watson's choice of stories, now, lol. I wonder if Doyle was making fun of himself with that a bit.
Lmfao yeah xD
and

QUIRKS.CPP

Bee

Post by Bee »

Hello, friends! This weekend we're reading The "Gloria Scott"! https://en.m.wikisource.org/wiki/Memoir ... oria_Scott
and

QUIRKS.CPP

InspectorCaracal

Bee wrote:
Fri 28 Apr, 2023, 10:45 am
Hello, friends! This weekend we're reading The "Gloria Scott"! https://en.m.wikisource.org/wiki/Memoir ... oria_Scott
i enjoy how we no longer pretend that we're gonna read the story during the week and discuss it on the weekend :joy: (altho ironically I did this time)

Bee

Post by Bee »

I like how we get a Sherlock Holmes origin story that is somehow not an origin story at all pff
and

QUIRKS.CPP

InspectorCaracal

Bee wrote:
Sat 29 Apr, 2023, 10:55 pm
I like how we get a Sherlock Holmes origin story that is somehow not an origin story at all pff
Right?

Somehow I remember liking this story a lot more, before? I dunno. It's just kind of a thing, now.

Bee

Post by Bee »

InspectorCaracal wrote:
Sun 30 Apr, 2023, 2:37 am
Bee wrote:
Right?

Somehow I remember liking this story a lot more, before? I dunno. It's just kind of a thing, now.
It's honestly very good, but then it gets to the confession part and it's just... Yet another long ass confession. I tried really hard to enjoy that part (some of it was kinda fun), but then I just stopped caring, it was SO LONG. 🥱
and

QUIRKS.CPP

InspectorCaracal

Bee wrote:
Sun 30 Apr, 2023, 3:05 am
InspectorCaracal wrote:
Bee wrote:
Right?

It's honestly very good, but then it gets to the confession part and it's just... Yet another long ass confession. I tried really hard to enjoy that part (some of it was kinda fun), but then I just stopped caring, it was SO LONG. 🥱
yes! that!!! it's like half the dang story!!!!

Bee

Post by Bee »

InspectorCaracal wrote:
Sun 30 Apr, 2023, 3:27 am
Bee wrote:
Sun 30 Apr, 2023, 3:05 am
InspectorCaracal wrote:

Right?

yes! that!!! it's like half the dang story!!!!
I honestly can't tell what's their supposed appeal?? They don't even work that well as adventure tales tbqh...
and

QUIRKS.CPP