Sherlock Holmes Short Stories Read Along!

The place to talk about web comics, web serials, fanfiction, and any other kind of stories posted on the internet.
Forum rules
Tag your spoilers!
thiskurt

Re: Sherlock Holmes Short Stories Read Along!

Post by thiskurt »

InspectorCaracal wrote:
Sun 12 Mar, 2023, 10:50 pm
This story has a special place in my list of Holmes stories because it features one of the two Violets, who deserve much more attention than they get because everyone loves Irene Adler more, lol. I've read this one more than most, so there wasn't a whole lot for me to notice this time around that I hadn't already thought to death. I love Violet Hunter, tho, and how she basically takes charge of her whole situation and really just calls them in as back-up, and I enjoy the characterization bit of how Holmes feels morally obligated to help because Miss Hunter has no one else available, even though there isn't actually much of a mystery involved.
Yes, I like how Holmes knows she won't be dissuaded from taking the job so he doesn't even bother to try and as soon as he says he's a telegram away and would come as soon as she asks him she's like "cool, the money's good, I've got backup, let's do it."

I love that she smuggles a piece of a broken hand mirror in to get a look at what's going on behind her back.

Speaking of gothic horror, people make a big deal of characters in horror stories always going towards danger, but you can easily justify that by having them have the kind of personality that just goes around poking around all the time, like here.

thiskurt

Post by thiskurt »

Everyone good for The Adventure of Silver Blaze this weekend or is next weekend better? (Start of a The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes)

InspectorCaracal

Post by InspectorCaracal »

thiskurt wrote:
Wed 15 Mar, 2023, 9:55 am
Everyone good for The Adventure of Silver Blaze this weekend or is next weekend better? (Start of a The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes)
SILVER BLAZE!!

B is traveling I think? so we might need to do next weekend

That's my secret, Cap. I'm always bad at computers.

Bee

Post by Bee »

InspectorCaracal wrote:
Wed 15 Mar, 2023, 5:17 pm
thiskurt wrote:
Wed 15 Mar, 2023, 9:55 am
SILVER BLAZE!!

B is traveling I think? so we might need to do next weekend
I'm traveling but I'll do my best!! :D
and
The Society for Evasionary Action in Literature (and Jesus)

QUIRKS.CPP

Bee

Post by Bee »

https://en.m.wikisource.org/wiki/Memoir ... lver_Blaze

Tldr: https://twitter.com/dril/status/687446125457096704?s=20

I was curious about Cal's clear excitement about this story but I should have known it involved horses lmao

For real, though, it was a lot of fun! And again, no murders! \0/ (I may or may not be a bit tired of murders, I've pretty much only read Christie this year...)
"We are going well," said he, looking out of the window and glancing at his watch. "Our rate at present is fifty-three and a half miles an hour."

"I have not observed the quarter-mile posts," said I.

"Nor have I. But the telegraph posts upon this line are sixty yards apart, and the calculation is a simple one."
This is exactly my dad's kind of travel entertainment tbh. a_plus
"It is what we call a cataract knife," said I.
I did NOT need to know this augh
"It was a poor weapon, but perhaps the best that he could lay his hands on at the moment."
imagine not even wondering WHY a house trainer would have such a knife, or why he would even have it by his bed???
"This other is a milliner's account for thirty-seven pounds fifteen made out by Madame Lesurier, of Bond Street, to William Derbyshire. Mrs. Straker tells us that Derbyshire was a friend of her husband's, and that occasionally his letters were addressed here."
I didn't even need to read more than this to know if was a case of adultery lol 🙃
"What's this?" It was a wax vesta half burned, which was so coated with mud that it looked at first like a little chip of wood.
I learned a new thing! Man, sometimes I wish I had a fully annotated edition of these stories, would save me a lot of time looking things up.
"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"

"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."

"The dog did nothing in the night-time."

"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.
Oh so that's where that book's title came from? Interesting 🤔
Also lol I love how this little dialogue reads like a parody but it's not. 😂

Anyway, yes, this is a lovely story, a great way to start my day
and

QUIRKS.CPP

InspectorCaracal

Post by InspectorCaracal »

Bee wrote:
Fri 17 Mar, 2023, 1:14 pm
For real, though, it was a lot of fun! And again, no murders! \0/ (I may or may not be a bit tired of murders, I've pretty much only read Christie this year...)
I'll have full comments later but: the fact that so many Holmes stories aren't about murders is honestly one of my favorite things about the series. We need more mysteries about weird fraud scams and heists!

That's my secret, Cap. I'm always bad at computers.

Bee

Post by Bee »

InspectorCaracal wrote:
Fri 17 Mar, 2023, 5:21 pm
Bee wrote:
I'll have full comments later but: the fact that so many Holmes stories aren't about murders is honestly one of my favorite things about the series. We need more mysteries about weird fraud scams and heists!
WE DO YES I need to look for more non-murder mystery stories tbh
and

QUIRKS.CPP

thiskurt

Post by thiskurt »

Bee wrote:
Fri 17 Mar, 2023, 5:55 pm
InspectorCaracal wrote:
Bee wrote:
Yes, indeed, I noticed that much more then I did the last read through there's very few murders and a lot of "help me figure out this strange problem I'm having". I agree completely we need more weird scams, heists and just mysteries for mystery's sake in our detective fiction. And side characters that aren't just there to be murdered or to be the bad guy, but people with their own social life and dynamic.

It was last weekend after all? We've just gotten started again and I'm already dropping the ball. :(

Bee

Post by Bee »

thiskurt wrote:
Thu 23 Mar, 2023, 12:17 am
Bee wrote:
Fri 17 Mar, 2023, 5:55 pm
InspectorCaracal wrote:

Yes, indeed, I noticed that much more then I did the last read through there's very few murders and a lot of "help me figure out this strange problem I'm having". I agree completely we need more weird scams, heists and just mysteries for mystery's sake in our detective fiction. And side characters that aren't just there to be murdered or to be the bad guy, but people with their own social life and dynamic.

It was last weekend after all? We've just gotten started again and I'm already dropping the ball. :(
Cal also ended up not posting so no worries 💛 I just happened to have some quiet time last Friday and decided to read and post about the story :)
and

QUIRKS.CPP

Bee

Post by Bee »

Come on, folks, it's the weekend already!!!!!!!!
and

QUIRKS.CPP