Today I Learned

Talk about whatever!
skysailor

Re: Today I Learned

Post by skysailor »

This is absolutely wild I never knew about this life form it sounds like ridiculous world building https://www.reddit.com/r/mycology/comme ... or_my_tree

InspectorCaracal

Post by InspectorCaracal »

skysailor wrote:
Tue 13 Sep, 2022, 3:52 am
This is absolutely wild I never knew about this life form it sounds like ridiculous world building https://www.reddit.com/r/mycology/comme ... or_my_tree
they look like tribbles decided to be tree barnacles

That's my secret, Cap. I'm always bad at computers.

corvabird

Post by corvabird »

skysailor wrote:
Tue 13 Sep, 2022, 3:52 am
This is some excellent creature knowledge, thank you!
Boo!

LilFluff

Post by LilFluff »

You know those gray cardboard/plastic sheets included with some commercially prepared microwaveable foods? The kind generally included with a microwaveable pizza so the crust will be adequate instead of a crime against food. Thanks to a YouTube video and a quick search to confirm it I learned today that it was invented by Pillsbury and is called a susceptor. It's a piece of cardboard with a layer of aluminum dust laminated under plastic.

In a regular oven steam that reaches the surface of the dough will quickly evaporate in the hot air leaving a crisp crust but in a microwave the steam tends to condense on the surface leaving it soggy/sticky. The susceptor increases the environmental heat near the dough encouraging the steam to evaporate.

LilFluff

Post by LilFluff »

TIL that Twitch is owned by Amazon. All this time I thought it was part of the Google Megacorp.

InspectorCaracal

LilFluff wrote:
Fri 30 Sep, 2022, 3:51 am
TIL that Twitch is owned by Amazon. All this time I thought it was part of the Google Megacorp.
yep it's amazon!

amazon buys up other companies, google tries to make their own competitor to other companies and then closes the project a year later, lol

LilFluff

Post by LilFluff »

Today I learned that IBM arguably designed the first risc computer (as a replacement for System/3 which was intended to complete with VAX minicomputers but was regarded as a failed venture) but then simply used it as a subcomponent of their mainframe computers.

https://thechipletter.substack.com/p/th ... ke-and-the

LilFluff

Post by LilFluff »

TIL that Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Anna Waterhouse have written a series about Sherlock's brother Mycroft Holmes.

InspectorCaracal

LilFluff wrote:
Thu 06 Oct, 2022, 5:22 pm
TIL that Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Anna Waterhouse have written a series about Sherlock's brother Mycroft Holmes.
i was steeling myself to vehemently disagree with the characterization but this line pleases me:
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar wrote:Remember, it’s Sherlock who describes him and Sherlock is not always a reliable source. He has his moments of pettiness.

Bee

Post by Bee »

Today I learned about cryptic crosswords and that made me think of @Alex and @thiskurt
and
The Society for Evasionary Action in Literature (and Jesus)

QUIRKS.CPP