Talk about whatever!
senbonzakura

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by senbonzakura »

senbonzakura wrote:
Sat 24 Sep, 2022, 8:03 pm
senbonzakura wrote:
Sat 24 Sep, 2022, 7:50 pm
sitting in front of Book of Travels in my Steam library and trying to decide if I should make a new character or pick up where I left off

I last played in January and I never got very far..... and they might've done updates that change the early game experience.......
dang, they still don't have UI size scaling :(
been having a lot of fun with the game but just had to, ah, "close" it

i took a train to Crossings and when i arrived, i was disembarked

except I was still physically on the train

so when the train moved on again, it carried me off the edge of the map and the game completely froze :rofl:
it is surprisingly difficult to find good low-res image motifs to put in one's signature these days

senbonzakura

Post by senbonzakura »

well, crap

my character didn't get the extra +1 to Physicality that I wanted. I'm gonna have to start over. :| or at least I'll roll up a new character and see if i get +2 to Physicality this time. if not, I'll just... post a bug report or something, I guess?
it is surprisingly difficult to find good low-res image motifs to put in one's signature these days

senbonzakura

Post by senbonzakura »

I don't think anyone else in my part of the world here plays Book of Travels (since, uh, the only person in my part of the world, even roughly speaking, is Sky >.>) but if anyone ever IS, let me know, maybe we can find some time to meet up

edit: oh I'm an idiot, I'm wearing a piece of gear that's reducing my physicality by 1....

corvabird

Post by corvabird »

Almost all stats are determined by gear. The bonuses you gain from character creation there are not that relevant in the grand scheme of things (though they're very relevant in early game and also they feel emotionally relevant!)

Though for SKILLS rather than stats, which Wind you choose is important in terms of how you spend your skill points as skills / knots that match your wind cost 1 less skill point. But you can unmemorise and re-memorise skills at will which is amazing so you have freedom to switch things around on the go.

I carry around a bunch of different gear so that I can switch depending on what stats I need -- most things that up something also lower something else. I think that's the norm.

I can roll up a character for whichever server you're on as I'd love to wander with you, but I guess the big problem is that we are rarely going to be online at the same time :(
Boo!

senbonzakura

Post by senbonzakura »

corvabird wrote:
Sun 25 Sep, 2022, 5:45 pm
Almost all stats are determined by gear. The bonuses you gain from character creation there are not that relevant in the grand scheme of things (though they're very relevant in early game and also they feel emotionally relevant!)

Though for SKILLS rather than stats, which Wind you choose is important in terms of how you spend your skill points as skills / knots that match your wind cost 1 less skill point. But you can unmemorise and re-memorise skills at will which is amazing so you have freedom to switch things around on the go.

I carry around a bunch of different gear so that I can switch depending on what stats I need -- most things that up something also lower something else. I think that's the norm.

I can roll up a character for whichever server you're on as I'd love to wander with you, but I guess the big problem is that we are rarely going to be online at the same time :(
Yeah, I'm still in super early game so that extra point is the difference between being able to do literally any challenges vs not. Which is why I feel so sheepish about it being my own fault. :sweat:

and yeah.... I don't think we're gonna play at the same times much, unfortunately.

corvabird

Post by corvabird »

Emuferal is working for me now! I spent a few weeks trying to get the devs to acknowledge my existence but they just talked around me and helped other folk so I left the discord (with a small blip where when I left one of the devs friended me on discord to ask why I left and I was like 'oh they do care!' and briefly explained but then they never spoke to me again). They didn't even have my issue listed as one of the ones they'd be fixing so I figured it'd be a while.

Rejoined and tried again now (I think I was originally trying in July) and now I can launch the game! Perhaps one of the other folk with my issue finally got acknowledged!

I'm gonna try to get Joh to play it with me as well. Since you can be any species, own any house, and you have 6 of everything in the game to start with, I think it's a pretty smooth start if you don't want to grind. (Although tbh I'd rather have started with nothing XD )
Boo!

InspectorCaracal

Post by InspectorCaracal »

corvabird wrote:
Mon 26 Sep, 2022, 9:00 am
Emuferal is working for me now! I spent a few weeks trying to get the devs to acknowledge my existence but they just talked around me and helped other folk so I left the discord (with a small blip where when I left one of the devs friended me on discord to ask why I left and I was like 'oh they do care!' and briefly explained but then they never spoke to me again). They didn't even have my issue listed as one of the ones they'd be fixing so I figured it'd be a while.

Rejoined and tried again now (I think I was originally trying in July) and now I can launch the game! Perhaps one of the other folk with my issue finally got acknowledged!
I'm still in the discord and they've been having a hell of a time the past month with stuff, but i think a couplefew weeks ago they redid the account handling entirely so that's probably what fixed it
corvabird wrote:
I'm gonna try to get Joh to play it with me as well. Since you can be any species, own any house, and you have 6 of everything in the game to start with, I think it's a pretty smooth start if you don't want to grind. (Although tbh I'd rather have started with nothing XD )
right? like, the grind was kinda meh before, but at the same time, i'm super unmotivated to do anything in the game without having like... goals i can work towards

That's my secret, Cap. I'm always bad at computers.

corvabird

Post by corvabird »

InspectorCaracal wrote:
Mon 26 Sep, 2022, 8:26 pm
corvabird wrote:

I'm still in the discord and they've been having a hell of a time the past month with stuff, but i think a couplefew weeks ago they redid the account handling entirely so that's probably what fixed it
corvabird wrote:
right? like, the grind was kinda meh before, but at the same time, i'm super unmotivated to do anything in the game without having like... goals i can work towards
Yeah I didn't hold it against them, however infuriating it was -- I mean, it's a volunteer project that nobody is going to make any money from and which seems like it requries a ton of work. And honestly the community seems very nice. But also I didn't want to hang around missing out so I just figured I'd try again later and it worked! Accidentally timed it well if they only changed the account handling in the last few weeks.

Apparently you can console command yourself anything you need as well because whenever anyone asks 'how do I do X?' someone just says 'just type this command'.

Wondering if I can ask a mod to take all my stuff away so I have to start from scratch to increase motivation. *thinky think*

UPDATE: I asked what the situation was and the current server is in creative mode but there's a future server planned where it'll be live and we'll have to craft all the things.

Honestly very fair and I'm pleased to be able to pop on and potter about until then!
Last edited by corvabird on Tue 27 Sep, 2022, 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boo!

corvabird

Post by corvabird »

@senbonzakura SION! Book of Travels just updated and now character appearance customisation is in during character creation!

I might ... I might actually roll up a new character! Even though my current one is super geared up!

Also I think one of the updates they added was scaling UI -- hopefully that'll include text!
Boo!

senbonzakura

Post by senbonzakura »

corvabird wrote:
Tue 27 Sep, 2022, 8:12 pm
@senbonzakura SION! Book of Travels just updated and now character appearance customisation is in during character creation!

I might ... I might actually roll up a new character! Even though my current one is super geared up!

Also I think one of the updates they added was scaling UI -- hopefully that'll include text!
YOOOOO OMG I HAVE TO TRY REROLLING TONIGHT even though nighttime is a little scary and you don't start out with a light source >.> the scaling UI is extremely exciting as well! i hate having to play in fullscreen mode.... <.<