Re: What games are you playing?

Post by senbonzakura »

corvabird wrote:
Fri 26 Aug, 2022, 6:27 pm
senbonzakura wrote:
Fri 26 Aug, 2022, 6:01 pm
corvabird wrote:
Fri 26 Aug, 2022, 5:27 pm
I'm playing loads of GW2 at the moment! I played a few hours of it maybe a year ago but didn't get into it. It's just what I need right now though and I have to say, it's a lovely MMO and I'm having a great time of it. My favourite thing is completing the map exploration -- especially in the cities where it's just good clean exploration.

Biggest accomplishment is definitely Weyandt's revenge in Sharkmaw Caverns. :) Also I completed a dungeon without completely embarassing myself which made a change from WoW!
YO WHAT YOU'RE PLAYING GW2!!!! my dreams are coming true :sob: can I add you to my friendlist? did i already?? the sharkmaw jp is really tricky but a lot of fun so i know what you mean there >.> and there are so many things to explore and little NPC dialogues to discover and when you get to Divinity's Reach if you haven't already you should read all the book excerpts in the book carts I think you'll enjoy that

feel free to hmu any time we're both on at the same time if you want an extra party member for anything!
Sion I would love it if you added me! My main is Vex Tabby :D I don't have a max level char yet and I also don't actually know what's happening most of the time but I'm really enjoying the game ^_^ I feel like it has a cohesive lore and also it isn't making me a chosen one (which I really hate in MMOs) so I'm veyr happy. Also it's a bit nostalgic because I played og GW back in the day.
i'll look you up tonight! or sooner if i get an opportunity! :D and it's okay if you don't know what's going on sometimes - the first like sixty, seventy, maybe even eighty levels are honestly like a long tutorial, with all the gradual unlocks and stuff, so you're still in what's supposed to be the learning phase anyway :3

and yeah one of the things I really like about the ongoing story is that, like, yeah, your character winds up being the Main Character :tm: but like you said, it's not because they're the ~Chosen One~, it's because they go through a lot and have to make a lot of difficult choices and wind up one of the few who stand up and say "somebody needs to do something about this and I guess that's going to be me" - and they're also not like, the only driving force behind the story, there are other characters with their own things going on and their own history and goals and motivations and *flails* i have a lot of feelings about this game

I have to admit, it took me a few minutes here to make sure I wasn't spoiling anything xD
it is surprisingly difficult to find good low-res image motifs to put in one's signature these days

corvabird

Post by corvabird »

:D That sounds like a much more enjoyable story. I still wish I had more options for personal story -- I have basically decided that all of Vex's personal story is non-canon because it requires them to be a consummate solider, which I find actually repulsive -- but otherwise the massive freedom of the world is just a lot of fun. I really love talking to random NPCs and the way events occur at different times in a way that makes the world feel less static.
Boo!

senbonzakura

Post by senbonzakura »

corvabird wrote:
Fri 26 Aug, 2022, 6:47 pm
:D That sounds like a much more enjoyable story. I still wish I had more options for personal story -- I have basically decided that all of Vex's personal story is non-canon because it requires them to be a consummate solider, which I find actually repulsive -- but otherwise the massive freedom of the world is just a lot of fun. I really love talking to random NPCs and the way events occur at different times in a way that makes the world feel less static.
None of the story past level 30 is affected by those early personal story choices, anyway, so writing it off in your head as non-canon is actually very easy. (sounds like Vex is a charr?)

also J is off shopping so I can hop on real quick and add you right now :D

**edit oh yeah my main is Callista Drake so you can add me back
it is surprisingly difficult to find good low-res image motifs to put in one's signature these days

corvabird

Post by corvabird »

senbonzakura wrote:
Fri 26 Aug, 2022, 6:53 pm

None of the story past level 30 is affected by those early personal story choices, anyway, so writing it off in your head as non-canon is actually very easy. (sounds like Vex is a charr?)

I will definitely add you! And yeah, I was very keen to be a charr. I think the Sylvari get a way better personal story from what I've seen though. Glad it's easy to ignore that part of the personal story!
Boo!

senbonzakura

Post by senbonzakura »

corvabird wrote:
Fri 26 Aug, 2022, 7:00 pm
senbonzakura wrote:

I will definitely add you! And yeah, I was very keen to be a charr. I think the Sylvari get a way better personal story from what I've seen though. Glad it's easy to ignore that part of the personal story!
Honestly the Sylvari are the best/coolest, I love playing sylvari, but they're all good.

corvabird

Post by corvabird »

senbonzakura wrote:
Fri 26 Aug, 2022, 8:04 pm
corvabird wrote:
senbonzakura wrote:

Honestly the Sylvari are the best/coolest, I love playing sylvari, but they're all good.
I love the sylvari worldbuilding and story but I much prefer being a large cat! I just wish they were allowed to be more multidimensional (which I guess is true of all of them, just I particularly dislike the dimension charr got assigned).
Boo!

senbonzakura

Post by senbonzakura »

corvabird wrote:
Sat 27 Aug, 2022, 8:28 am
senbonzakura wrote:
corvabird wrote:

I love the sylvari worldbuilding and story but I much prefer being a large cat! I just wish they were allowed to be more multidimensional (which I guess is true of all of them, just I particularly dislike the dimension charr got assigned).
Which backstory did you choose? I have a Blood Legion which is definitely very soldier and an Iron Legion which is much less. (But yeah actually charr society being rigid and militant gets criticized a number of times in various bits of the living world stories.)

corvabird

Post by corvabird »

senbonzakura wrote:
Sat 27 Aug, 2022, 7:41 pm
corvabird wrote:
senbonzakura wrote:

Which backstory did you choose? I have a Blood Legion which is definitely very soldier and an Iron Legion which is much less. (But yeah actually charr society being rigid and militant gets criticized a number of times in various bits of the living world stories.)
I did Ash Legion which is just extremely soldiery solders that are mildly sneaky sometimes
Boo!

senbonzakura

Post by senbonzakura »

corvabird wrote:
Sun 28 Aug, 2022, 10:48 am
senbonzakura wrote:
Sat 27 Aug, 2022, 7:41 pm
corvabird wrote:
I did Ash Legion which is just extremely soldiery solders that are mildly sneaky sometimes
Ooh, yeah, I haven't done Ash but they're like the spy division. Iron Legion is still soldiers - that's just what main charr society is like, you can't get away from that - but they're a bit of the Nerd Division so you get less stabby murder and more inventing weird weapon gadgets.
spoilers for living world season 4
but! you can always headcanon your character into being an Olmakhan, I think you'll really like them

corvabird

Post by corvabird »

Ooh, olmakahn charr sound amazing!

At the moment, my headcanon for Vex is ... hang on, I made a little post about it.
Vex Tabby nonsense
This is my GW2 main, Vex Tabby the tabby-and-white charr mesmer!

They grew up near Lion's Arch and don't understand why everyone expects them to be war-like. They are quite fearful but they love exploring, so mesmer magic suits them well because it means they always have company!

---

'We did it, team!' Vex high-fives the illusory clones which all explode into butterflies.

They are left alone clutching their staff. Their smile fades and they trudge on.

My thinking is basically that charr in Lion's Arch and nearby have a culture and lifestyle more influenced by the other cultures they are constantly mixing with. Hence charr kids playing with human kids running through the streets etc.

I really like Lion's Arch.
Boo!