Sherlock Holmes Short Stories Read Along!

The place to talk about web comics, web serials, fanfiction, and any other kind of stories posted on the internet.
Forum rules
Tag your spoilers!
InspectorCaracal

Re: Sherlock Holmes Short Stories Read Along!

Post by InspectorCaracal »

Bee wrote:
Sat 02 Jul, 2022, 11:42 pm
For a case where nothing much really happens, it is odious, isn't it?? Too bad the mother couldn't have been there as well to be humiliated, she would have deserved it. What's stopping that husband from quietly murdering her and marrying the daughter?? Nothing, that's what

I think I've been reading way too much Christie, lol
Odious is the perfect word, yes. I both love and hate this one story, really, because like, for the actual case part, I'm not even mad that they got away with it, I'm mad that this poor lady is implied to spend her whole life being loyal to an imaginary person from a lousy con. HFkajsdfaa what a terrible pair of people

But on the flip side, the bit at the beginning, and the part with studying Miss Sutherland and the back-and-forth with Holmes and Watson is so good! I love Holmes """casually""" showing off the snuff-box like they don't both know that neither of them ever take snuff. I'm pretty sure that box is completely empty. And Watson sharing his own observations of the client and Holmes being genuinely delighted at how much he noticed (despite the back-handedness of the compliment) are one of my favorite moments in the series.
Bee wrote:
Indeed, I have found that it is usually in unimportant matters that there is a field for the observation, and for the quick analysis of cause and effect which gives the charm to an investigation.
Do you think Holmes would like Hyouka
It's hard to say - he might, but even if he did, he'd probably never admit it and just share mounds of criticisms.

That's my secret, Cap. I'm always bad at computers.

Bee

Post by Bee »

InspectorCaracal wrote:
Sun 03 Jul, 2022, 12:25 am
Bee wrote:
For a case where nothing much really happens, it is odious, isn't it?? Too bad the mother couldn't have been there as well to be humiliated, she would have deserved it. What's stopping that husband from quietly murdering her and marrying the daughter?? Nothing, that's what

I think I've been reading way too much Christie, lol
Odious is the perfect word, yes. I both love and hate this one story, really, because like, for the actual case part, I'm not even mad that they got away with it, I'm mad that this poor lady is implied to spend her whole life being loyal to an imaginary person from a lousy con. HFkajsdfaa what a terrible pair of people
it's like we all know someone just like her who would fall prey to a scam but in this case it's her own mother and step-father!! She'll just be stuck with them for years before she even attempts to do anything for herself ;-;
But on the flip side, the bit at the beginning, and the part with studying Miss Sutherland and the back-and-forth with Holmes and Watson is so good! I love Holmes """casually""" showing off the snuff-box like they don't both know that neither of them ever take snuff. I'm pretty sure that box is completely empty. And Watson sharing his own observations of the client and Holmes being genuinely delighted at how much he noticed (despite the back-handedness of the compliment) are one of my favorite moments in the series.
YES this story is full of lovely moments while you read it. Just gotta forget the case they're dealing with, oof
Bee wrote:
Indeed, I have found that it is usually in unimportant matters that there is a field for the observation, and for the quick analysis of cause and effect which gives the charm to an investigation.
Do you think Holmes would like Hyouka
It's hard to say - he might, but even if he did, he'd probably never admit it and just share mounds of criticisms.
omg
and
The Society for Evasionary Action in Literature (and Jesus)

QUIRKS.CPP

InspectorCaracal

Bee wrote:
Sun 03 Jul, 2022, 5:46 pm
YES this story is full of lovely moments while you read it. Just gotta forget the case they're dealing with, oof
the only redeeming(?) thing is that Holmes is frustrated about not being able to do anything since it's not technically illegal and consoles himself with "well he'll screw up eventually" but then he goes and is like "yeah if we tell her she won't believe it" and i'm like look Holmes we know you're a genius at reading people but isn't it your moral duty to at least TRY

THAT'S THE PART THAT REALLY TICKS ME OFF

Bee

Post by Bee »

InspectorCaracal wrote:
Sun 03 Jul, 2022, 9:51 pm
Bee wrote:
Sun 03 Jul, 2022, 5:46 pm
the only redeeming(?) thing is that Holmes is frustrated about not being able to do anything since it's not technically illegal and consoles himself with "well he'll screw up eventually" but then he goes and is like "yeah if we tell her she won't believe it" and i'm like look Holmes we know you're a genius at reading people but isn't it your moral duty to at least TRY

THAT'S THE PART THAT REALLY TICKS ME OFF
Yeah the truth is the only thing that could possibly maybe help her ._.
and

QUIRKS.CPP

thiskurt

Post by thiskurt »

Just a nice story again, some fun palling around of Holmes and Watson, talking about husbands throwing their false teeth at their wives.

I like how many of these stories are non-murdery too, lower stake mysteries, well, I say lower stakes, it's obviously a dreadfull thing to do to a person even just emotionally without the money angle and the guy is a real villainous snot.

I really think these kind of mysteries make a lot of sense to do as a private detective story, the kind of inter-personal mysteries that don't require police and ultimately tell a small personal story about the characters subject too it.

Really alligns well with the idea that for Holmes it's just about the mystery not the importance of the case, even if Holmes considers this mystery trivial.

A classic Holmes "good job on being so wrong, Watson" line here:
Pon my word, Watson, you are coming along wonderfully. You have really done very well indeed. It is true that you have missed everything of importance, but you have hit upon the method, and you have a quick eye for colour.
My first glance is always at a woman's sleeve.
Uhuh, whatever you say, Holmes, me too.
Once only had I known him to fail, in the case of the King of Bohemia and of the Irene Adler photograph, but when I looked back to the weird business of the Sign of Four, and the extraordinary circumstances connected with the Study in Scarlet,
...available in any reputable bookstore near you.

Since they solved the case, but there is no happy resolution as there is nothing they can do about it to convice Miss Sutherland does this technically count as a noir detective story? :P

Although, noir Detectives usually resign themselves when there actually is nothing they can do about it, forget it this is Chinatown and all, they don't just give up because she's a woman or whatever. I mean come on Holmes, I was hoping he'd provide some resolution the law couldn't, he does that in a story later on, not just go "she'll never believe us, peace."

James Windibank really is an odious little shit, he could at least try to tell the mother and the daughter or showed them proof somehow. Columbo would've totally tricked the guy in to revealing himself in front of both of them.

But besides that, I think this really is an almost perfect little Sherlock Holmes story even if it's not the best or most memorable? If that makes sense? Like all the elements are there, the back and forth between Holmes and Watson is very nice, Holmes is really in his element, the nature of the mystery is quite good imho if the resolution is not.

Ooh, I also love that there just inside their home for pretty much this whole story.

InspectorCaracal

thiskurt wrote:
Mon 04 Jul, 2022, 12:32 pm
James Windibank really is an odious little shit, he could at least try to tell the mother and the daughter or showed them proof somehow. Columbo would've totally tricked the guy in to revealing himself in front of both of them.

But besides that, I think this really is an almost perfect little Sherlock Holmes story even if it's not the best or most memorable? If that makes sense? Like all the elements are there, the back and forth between Holmes and Watson is very nice, Holmes is really in his element, the nature of the mystery is quite good imho if the resolution is not.

Ooh, I also love that there just inside their home for pretty much this whole story.
Right? Honestly I chalk up Holmes not doing anything to him being immensely lazy about anything that doesn't personally interest him, which, I mean, it's a valid character trait but I'm still mad about it.

And yeah I always love the ones that really highlight the consulting detective angle.

OH AND YOU REMINDED ME, i forgot to give my Other Piece of Evidence for this having been written first - the knees of the trousers.
A Case of Identity wrote: My first glance is always at a woman’s sleeve. In a man it is perhaps better first to take the knee of the trouser.
The Red-Headed League wrote: “Mr. Wilson’s assistant counts for a good deal in this mystery of the Red-headed League. I am sure that you inquired your way merely in order that you might see him.”

“Not him.”

“What then?”

“The knees of his trousers.”

Bee

Post by Bee »

We're reading the next one this week, yeah?
and

QUIRKS.CPP

thiskurt

Post by thiskurt »

Bee wrote:
Mon 11 Jul, 2022, 4:12 pm
Yeah, let's do it for this weekend.

InspectorCaracal

thiskurt wrote:
Mon 11 Jul, 2022, 4:44 pm
Bee wrote:
Mon 11 Jul, 2022, 4:12 pm
Yeah, let's do it for this weekend.
yay!! *checks what the next one is* ... oh, Boscombe Valley. Well that's not too bad.

Bee

Post by Bee »

https://en.m.wikisource.org/wiki/The_St ... ey_Mystery
“Have you heard anything of the case?” he asked.

“Not a word. I have not seen a paper for some days.”
Extremely relatable Watson quote

Nothing much to say about this one. It feels very much like A Study in Scarlet?? Holmes and Watson continue to be friendship goals tho
and

QUIRKS.CPP