Dracula Daily

The place to talk about web comics, web serials, fanfiction, and any other kind of stories posted on the internet.
Forum rules
Tag your spoilers!
thiskurt

Dracula Daily

Post by thiskurt »

So, I don't know if you've seen this yet, but someone is doing this thing called 'Dracula Daily', which is not a vampire comic by @Alex but instead is a site where they post a newsletter on every day where a letter, telegram, etcetera is dated in the novel Dracula.

The first letter is dated the 3rd of May and the last November 10th so it starts today.

You can sign up here: https://draculadaily.substack.com/about
And you can find the archive here, so you don't need to sign up even to follow it there, but you won't get notified: https://draculadaily.substack.com/archive

Pretty cool idea, I've never managed to make it through Dracula myself, but maybe this way I can.

Maybe the SEAL team wants to try following along with it too? @Bee @InspectorCaracal

thiskurt

Re: Dracula Daily

Post by thiskurt »

Old Jonathan Harker seems to be a having a swell old time over on the continent, he seems to be having a nice holiday. (Sorry 'bussiness', sure thing.) Like all good tourists he seems primarily conserned with what he's eating. Good thing he knows a smathering of German, otherwise he'd have to resort to pointing at his belly and miming bringing a fork to his mouth all the time.

I'm sure nothing will disturb his nice old time in Transylvania.

'Buda-Pesth' let's spell it like that again.

I hate it when people go on about their dreams. It doesn't mean anything, they're just dreams, you dreamt of a wolf howling at the moon, big whoop, that won't have anything to do with your life!

I find Johathan mentioning Paprika as if it's some weird eastern european pepper no one will have heard of kind of funny, it probably was at the time to English people.

I once waited eight days to catch a train in China.

All the place names and nationalities always read fictional to me at first even though I know they're mostly real and have heard of plenty of them, it's just when it's told in this vampire novel it starts to feel fictional. I wonder if people in historic Transylvania sometimes forget they're real when they read this.

This Dracula fellow seems very nice.

Bee

Post by Bee »

thiskurt wrote:
Tue 03 May, 2022, 5:57 pm
So, I don't know if you've seen this yet, but someone is doing this thing called 'Dracula Daily', which is not a vampire comic by @Alex but instead is a site where they post a newsletter on every day where a letter, telegram, etcetera is dated in the novel Dracula.

The first letter is dated the 3rd of May and the last November 10th so it starts today.

You can sign up here: https://draculadaily.substack.com/about
And you can find the archive here, so you don't need to sign up even to follow it there, but you won't get notified: https://draculadaily.substack.com/archive

Pretty cool idea, I've never managed to make it through Dracula myself, but maybe this way I can.

Maybe the SEAL team wants to try following along with it too? @Bee @InspectorCaracal
oh, might as well try, yeah

also Daily should write a vampire comic now
and
The Society for Evasionary Action in Literature (and Jesus)

QUIRKS.CPP

Bee

Post by Bee »

thiskurt wrote:
Tue 03 May, 2022, 6:23 pm
Old Jonathan Harker seems to be a having a swell old time over on the continent, he seems to be having a nice holiday. (Sorry 'bussiness', sure thing.) Like all good tourists he seems primarily conserned with what he's eating. Good thing he knows a smathering of German, otherwise he'd have to resort to pointing at his belly and miming bringing a fork to his mouth all the time.

I'm sure nothing will disturb his nice old time in Transylvania.

'Buda-Pesth' let's spell it like that again.

I hate it when people go on about their dreams. It doesn't mean anything, they're just dreams, you dreamt of a wolf howling at the moon, big whoop, that won't have anything to do with your life!

I find Johathan mentioning Paprika as if it's some weird eastern european pepper no one will have heard of kind of funny, it probably was at the time to English people.

I once waited eight days to catch a train in China.

All the place names and nationalities always read fictional to me at first even though I know they're mostly real and have heard of plenty of them, it's just when it's told in this vampire novel it starts to feel fictional. I wonder if people in historic Transylvania sometimes forget they're real when they read this.

This Dracula fellow seems very nice.
re: place names and nationalities, SAME.But tbqh Europe and the parts of Asia closest to Europe are really super confusing to me.

Man, some 19th century novels always weird me out with how modern they sound. How do I know it's not all fake???
and

QUIRKS.CPP

thiskurt

Post by thiskurt »

Bee wrote:
Tue 03 May, 2022, 8:43 pm
re: place names and nationalities, SAME.But tbqh Europe and the parts of Asia closest to Europe are really super confusing to me.

Man, some 19th century novels always weird me out with how modern they sound. How do I know it's not all fake???
19th century novels are too modern to sound like old-timey writing, but too old to sound like a contemporary/last-century so they just end up sounding like someone today pretending to write on old time novel or a fictional past one I think is the issue.

Bee

Post by Bee »

thiskurt wrote:
Tue 03 May, 2022, 9:00 pm
Bee wrote:
Tue 03 May, 2022, 8:43 pm

19th century novels are too modern to sound like old-timey writing, but too old to sound like a contemporary/last-century so they just end up sounding like someone today pretending to write on old time novel or a fictional past one I think is the issue.
YES
and

QUIRKS.CPP

thiskurt

Post by thiskurt »

May 4th, Jonathan feels ridiculous but also uncomfortable:

https://draculadaily.substack.com/p/dra ... -4-9fd?s=r

"Do you know what day it is?" I answered that it was the fourth of May. She shook her head as she said again:

"Oh, yes! I know that! I know that, but do you know what day it is?" On my saying that I did not understand, she went on:
Ooh, no, another Star Wars fan.
"It is the eve of St. George's Day. Do you not know that to-night, when the clock strikes midnight, all the evil things in the world will have full sway?
Yep, that's Star Wars day alright.

Bee

Post by Bee »

What awful thing could await Jonathan I wonder
and

QUIRKS.CPP

Alex

Post by Alex »

Secretly I've been wanting to do Dracula as journal comics for years. But I don't think I'm very good at the journal comic vibe.

(I'm also reading along.)

Alex

Post by Alex »

Look, if one random woman begged me not to go to the Castle so hard she dropped down on her knees and gave me a cross necklace, I think I could get past that, but if an entire town starts clearly panicking that I'm heading for death, I think I'd just go home.

"Well, he's come this far."

No! That's how they get you!