I'd call this "Introduce Yourself" but that always makes me feel pressured, so just come say hi!

Talk about whatever!
AngelWings

Re: I'd call this "Introduce Yourself" but that always makes me feel pressured, so just come say hi!

Post by AngelWings »

Oh darn I didn't realize this forum doesn't have a separate display name or I would've used capitalization, uuugh

anyway HELLO! I finally made an account! Because I want to talk about the fact that we're MAKING A WEBTOON. Yes!!! Did you know it's like a million times easier to lay out a webtoon than a regular comic page? it's wayyyy more like when you're watching a movie or an anime because everything is really linear instead of zigzagging all over the place! (Okay, it zig-zags a little back and forth across the strip, but it's nothing like a normal page.)

I finished all the thumbnails last night for the first episode so I'm feeling pretty good about things! I'm also tracking my time spent on the different stages so I can get a better estimate on how long one episode of so many panels takes me for planning out stuff like how many episodes I can do a month and how long I want them to be and so on.

Also I'm going to change my pic at some point but this is the only one I have available on the tablet computer right now and I decided not to dig around and try to find any of the old picrews we used to remake any of them, especially since I might just wind up drawing something for myself anyway, we'll seeeee.

I might make a thread to talk about the webtoon project :thinking: since that's the whole reason I signed up and everything! I wanna be able to share WIP clips and talk about stuff!!

AngelWings

Re: I'd call this "Introduce Yourself" but that always makes me feel pressured, so just come say hi!

Post by AngelWings »

Haha apparently I type really fast? I had no idea XD

InspectorCaracal

Post by InspectorCaracal »

AngelWings wrote:
Thu 17 Feb, 2022, 9:14 pm
Oh darn I didn't realize this forum doesn't have a separate display name or I would've used capitalization, uuugh
fixed it for ya 8D

That's my secret, Cap. I'm always bad at computers.

thiskurt

Post by thiskurt »

AngelWings wrote:

anyway HELLO! I finally made an account! Because I want to talk about the fact that we're MAKING A WEBTOON. Yes!!!

(...)

I might make a thread to talk about the webtoon project :thinking: since that's the whole reason I signed up and everything! I wanna be able to share WIP clips and talk about stuff!!
Welcome! Definitely make a thread for it sounds interesting.
AngelWings wrote:
Did you know it's like a million times easier to lay out a webtoon than a regular comic page? it's wayyyy more like when you're watching a movie or an anime because everything is really linear instead of zigzagging all over the place! (Okay, it zig-zags a little back and forth across the strip, but it's nothing like a normal page.)
Yeah, in particular American Comics seem to be all over the place too, it does allow for a lot more freedom though. European Comics usually have a pretty basic grid layout for their pages, I think it's to do with how they used to be serialized in strips in newspapers first, so you couldn't do that much radical stuff with it.

AngelWings

Post by AngelWings »

thiskurt wrote:
Fri 18 Feb, 2022, 9:14 pm
AngelWings wrote:
Welcome! Definitely make a thread for it sounds interesting.
I did! You can go check it out and if you get past my giant wall of text hang out and chat and spectate or whatever you want to do~
thiskurt wrote:
Fri 18 Feb, 2022, 9:14 pm
AngelWings wrote:
Did you know it's like a million times easier to lay out a webtoon than a regular comic page? it's wayyyy more like when you're watching a movie or an anime because everything is really linear instead of zigzagging all over the place! (Okay, it zig-zags a little back and forth across the strip, but it's nothing like a normal page.)
Yeah, in particular American Comics seem to be all over the place too, it does allow for a lot more freedom though. European Comics usually have a pretty basic grid layout for their pages, I think it's to do with how they used to be serialized in strips in newspapers first, so you couldn't do that much radical stuff with it.
That's actually a really interesting point! Most of my experience with comics has actually been with comic strips (which are newspaper strips) and manga, which has a lot of variety with panel shape but has, in general, way fewer panels per page than an American comic book, but I'm really curious if the variety in panel shapes in American comics comes from when cape comics got really major and they started doing the high quality glossy full color illustrations? I'm not sure when that dates to and how much influence manga panelling might have had on it (there's been a lot of back and forth over the decades between all the different regions so sometimes it's not obvious where things got popularized first!) but back before that, American comics had a pretty regular grid-based layout too. Look at Archie comics for a good example, those haven't changed format (or style haha) for literal decades and they started as the smaller newsprint comics, like the older Superman and Detective Comics and stuff.

I think American comics still usually stick with a rough grid layout like 90% of the time, honestly, but I have to admit I don't actually read much in the way of comics outside of manga and webcomics so I have no idea. :sweat_smile: