Cal's KIN Forum Game

Talk about whatever!
InspectorCaracal

Re: Cal's KIN Forum Game

Post by InspectorCaracal »

Kavirin is clearly about to begin another speech of sorts, but Drurios blithely talks over his cues in order to address Sabriel's inquiries.
skysailor wrote:
Tue 11 Jan, 2022, 12:01 pm
So Sab turns to Drurios and tries to ask the ordinary specifics - how much, how long, will there be more food?
"We scale our fee to the client's needs and resources," Drurios says, aiming the answer to Sabriel but pitching his voice for the room, "and this client is particularly well-off, so I expect each of you will receive (some quantity of money which would easily pay for all of Sabriel's living expenses for Quite A While - we aren't talking "set for life" but for the financially challenged it is an enormous sum) for successful completion. I also bill clients for expenses," he adds, "so we'll cover any travel, materials, bribes, or other incidental costs incurred during the investigation."

"Yes, yes, you'll all be paid very well," Kavirin cuts in impatiently. "If you two are quite done chit-chatting, now that I have all of your assurances I should like to give the actual assignment."

That's my secret, Cap. I'm always bad at computers.

Wysteria

Post by Wysteria »

Hawthorn mimes closing her mouth firmly to allow Kavirin to talk.

It is entirely possible she is not taking this seriously enough.

zatnosk

Post by zatnosk »

Mina glances at Hawthorn as she mimes closing her mouth and sends her an amused smile. Mina then chews the last bits of their snack quickly and intently, so they can be finished eating and listen intently to the assignment.

corvabird

Post by corvabird »

Zally is still reeling from the payment Drurios has named when Kavirin cuts him off. Though their impatience is (probably?) not directed at them, they still shrink in on themselves and curl their tail around their feet. They see Hawthorn miming silence, however, and feel a little bit better.

Even scolded, they don't want to leave. That kind of money is life-changing, for them at least. Perhaps they could get fresher ingredients for their potions, or a more modern alchemy kit, and actually make something of their potion business.
Boo!

InspectorCaracal

"Thank you." Kavirin leans back in his chair, steepling his fingers together again. "Now then. The client is Lady Voleria, who I suspect none of you are familiar with. A reasonably well-known and well-liked member of the upper circles of society who exaggerates her own appearance of wealth through calculated expenditures and meticulous bookkeeping - with one notable exception. Her pet cat, Shadow."

"This cat," he continues, "which she dotes upon more than some parents do their children, has been abducted and is being held for ransom. I have been tasked with recovering the feline and, as per my earlier explanations, I am passing this task on to the four of you."

skysailor

Post by skysailor »

InspectorCaracal wrote:
Fri 21 Jan, 2022, 1:32 am
"Her pet cat, Shadow."

"This cat," he continues, "which she dotes upon more than some parents do their children, has been abducted and is being held for ransom. I have been tasked with recovering the feline and, as per my earlier explanations, I am passing this task on to the four of you."
"Of course!" Sabriel was pleasantly surprised. He would have done this for a pittance. Despite sometimes turning into a cat, he was not, in fact, a cat, meaning he actually rather liked cats. "What is Shadow's territory and usual patrol route?"

Wysteria

Post by Wysteria »

"And what are we supposed to do about the kidnappers, once we find them?"

Hawthorn has no idea how to investigate crimes! But people who hurt cats definitely deserve a punch in the face at minimum, and she is here for face punching. If they're just supposed to tell them not to do it again in a stern fashion, she'd better know now so as not to exceed legal requirements.

corvabird

Post by corvabird »

A cat? Zally isn't really sure what they were expecting, but it isn't this. They aren't particularly fond of cats, which are hissy and scratchy things and always pounce with needle claws to attack their tail when they aren't paying attention, but they don't like to think of one being held for ransom.

They hadn't even realised that was a thing people did. Holding people to ransom, that is. They suddenly feel even further from home, as if Dragon's Deep is on an entirely different plane to Mihilit-dalath.

They don't know anything about finding ransomed cats. Or really, finding anyone. As has clearly been shown to be the case, as they haven't even been able to find their sister even though they have her address. But they don't pipe up to say so.

They desperately need the money. And possibly the connections as well, as these two seem very well-connected. They'll just have to endeavour to be more help than hindrance. They listen to the others ask relevant questions, as they seem much more capable and ready for the task than Zally is.
Boo!

InspectorCaracal

skysailor wrote:
Fri 21 Jan, 2022, 5:24 am
"What is Shadow's territory and usual patrol route?"
Kavirin chuckles. "As interesting as that would have made the case, Shadow has always been quite content being a house cat. I suppose that means his territory is the interior of Lady Voleria's house. The specifics should be easy enough to ascertain from the lady and her staff.

"And as for your question," he adds, gesturing to Hawthorn (@Wysteria), "the only requirements of the client are the safe return of the cat and not to involve any official authorities. Beyond that," he shrugs, "so long as it doesn't reflect poorly upon me, I have no stake in whatever vigilante justice you should choose to employ, or not."

"One last thing. As you will be investigating this on my behalf, I've decided to make an exception of my usual rule not to divulge my own speculations on a case before reaching a conclusion, as there is one particular element of interest to this case: the ransom demand.

"You see, she is willing to pay me a frankly exorbitant sum to retrieve this cat of hers." Kavirin frowns in thought as he continues, gazing into the fireplace. "In fact, she declared, with full sincerity I might add, that she would spend her entire fortune to have her Shadow back. Quite the interesting statement from someone who is refusing to pay a ransom. And yet, when I suggested she simply give them what they asked for, she insisted she couldn't.

"On top of that, she refused to show me the ransom note, despite my insistence that it would be of the utmost value for tracing the catnappers. She even went so far as to lie about it having been destroyed. Most curious, is it not?"

zatnosk

Post by zatnosk »

Mina ponders the information about the cat-napping and the ransom, and then asks, "how do you know there's a random demand, if she wont show you the note? Maybe the cat ran away, and she's just trying to get you to find it again and have made up a grand story about catnappers to avoid embarrasment."

Mina waits for an answer for half a moment before interrupting herself, "Wait a.. How do you know she's lying about it being destroyed? Do you have some kind of truth magic, you haven't mentioned yet? Because that could be handy if we're supposed to go around asking questions and the like." They squint sceptically at Kavirin, trying to determine if he's going to answer truthfully.

OOC: I'd like to make a social instinct check to figure out if Kavirin lies or is truthful when answering whether he has truth magic. I hope that's meaningfully distinct from Zally rolling a similar check a on the previous page.