Game jams!

Talk about whatever!
InspectorCaracal

Re: Game jams!

Post by InspectorCaracal »

okay so while I'm definitely most experienced coding with php I'm gonna do this (virtual pet jam) in love2d to get some practice in. altho this means i'll need to figure out sfx. noooooo lol

i've been chewing on options and i'm kind of intrigued by the idea of "tamagotchi with a twist" but i don't actually have "a twist" yet sooo we'll see?? (fun fact: Digimon was originally the "For Boys" version of the tamagotchi)

there's a theme of "IN THE ZONE" which I... don't especially get lol. I might try to figure out a way to implement the theme if an idea strikes me but tbh i'm not trying to "win" the jam, just play, so idk it's not that important to me

That's my secret, Cap. I'm always bad at computers.

zatnosk

Post by zatnosk »

I've chosen the (brilliant) approach of javascript + canvas! Imma make it draw pixels on screen really fast, and then hope it looks like a game two weeks from now.

I don't even have a framework or helper-library or anything. Just raw bullheaded javascript drawing pixels.

(Also, who needs twists?! Our (@Nuhn and I) aim is currently "something like tamagotchi" but we're bad at staying inside the scope of the project, so who knows what it'll turn into)

InspectorCaracal

zatnosk wrote:
Sat 08 Jan, 2022, 9:02 pm
I've chosen the (brilliant) approach of javascript + canvas! Imma make it draw pixels on screen really fast, and then hope it looks like a game two weeks from now.

I don't even have a framework or helper-library or anything. Just raw bullheaded javascript drawing pixels.

(Also, who needs twists?! Our (@Nuhn and I) aim is currently "something like tamagotchi" but we're bad at staying inside the scope of the project, so who knows what it'll turn into)
Heck yeah pure javascript lmao

no for real that's a real challenge, looking forward to what you manage to do!

(I don't NEED a twist but I want one lol)

Nuhn

Post by Nuhn »

InspectorCaracal wrote:
Sat 08 Jan, 2022, 9:18 pm

(I don't NEED a twist but I want one lol)
That. That's my approach to every book/tv show/movie/story

InspectorCaracal

oh shit oh shit i got it

i'm gonna make a Petz-style "you adopt a pet and take it home and then play and care for it and it grows up over time and you can also breed them" game

but with TINY DRAGONS

to make my life easy i'm gonna just have two rooms: the adoption room and the living room. so i'm gonna need those two rooms laid out. then i'm gonna need to make several core dragon breeds that you can adopt. and inheritance profiles for each. and variance from the inheritance profiles possible within each breed. and dragon AI affected by personality inheritance traits. and basic interactions. and i think that's BASICALLY it which i'm saying because otherwise i'm gonna get murdered by feature creep lmao

InspectorCaracal

also i'm gonna make it sidescroller-style 2D instead of isometric to make animating easier

zatnosk

Post by zatnosk »

InspectorCaracal wrote:
Wed 12 Jan, 2022, 9:46 pm
murdered by feature creep
.. is my computer science grindcore band.

Can I mark my post as offtopic, somehow?

Anyway, we managed to get some progress on our game last night, so now we've got
Spoiler
a purple moomin-like creature that looks angry when it's in the bathroom.
Very fun, much game.

InspectorCaracal

zatnosk wrote:
Thu 13 Jan, 2022, 8:25 am
InspectorCaracal wrote:
Wed 12 Jan, 2022, 9:46 pm
murdered by feature creep
.. is my computer science grindcore band.

Can I mark my post as offtopic, somehow?
LMFAO i love it though actually

(OOC tags? ;P)
Spoiler
also i enjoy that your primary mechanic made so far is Angry Pooping lmfao

corvabird

Post by corvabird »

@InspectorCaracal did you just finish one of the game jams (the complete a project one) with weeks to spare ... while ill with covid?!
Boo!

InspectorCaracal

corvabird wrote:
Fri 14 Jan, 2022, 1:17 pm
@InspectorCaracal did you just finish one of the game jams (the complete a project one) with weeks to spare ... while ill with covid?!
Not quiiiiite yet lmao

I still gotta do three more things before the end of the month - achievements, the admin portal and putting in proper debug logging - but ngl being sick is part of why I got so much done lol, we didn't feel up to housekeeping or even video games so when I felt up to being out of bed it was just me and poking at my website lmao

I also wanna flesh out Zed a little more, at least get all the content types in with placeholders if nothing else