What games are you playing?

Talk about whatever!
LilFluff

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by LilFluff »

Ran across and started playing Bitburner the other day. If you were around for the days of BBS door games and you remember the hacker game that was one of many reskins of a classic door game design (buy stuff to make yourself stronger, attack computer controlled targets to get money and skill points, iterate) it's kind of like that but for the internet era. You start with a home server and a set of a few servers you can see from it and a script kiddie "nuke.exe" program you can point at them to try and get root access. Once you have root access you can try to siphon money from them, weaken their security to make it easier to get money, and iterate.

At first glance it's kind just a cracker themed idle game because once you have a bit of money you can buy hacknet nodes that get you passive income. But no, it's a fancy cracker themed idle game because instead of manually doing that hacking and stuff you can write scripts in either netscript (a javascript based scripting language) or JS itself which have functions available for things like scanning for visible servers, running commands or other scripts, etc. Which allow you to script automation of the game. And that's not considered cheating but the actual intent for how you are to play it. I just customized a script off a wiki, then wrote another that when run iterated through servers I bought in the game (creatively named myServ-01, myServ-02, etc) and then has each of them run the copied script. I can update the first script on my home server and run the script again the update it at all the others as I make improvements.

It's available on Steam and also at: https://danielyxie.github.io/bitburner/

Bee

Post by Bee »

Kittens Game, run 7(!), Anarchy challenge~!
I can tell this is going to be a LONG run augh.
Kittens are not only lazy and can't be assigned as leaders, ONLY HALF OF THEM CAN BE ASSIGNED JOBS. This is both aggravating and absolutely hilarious

With Winter Has Come, I was pretty confident I could do it because I had made it to Helios on pretty much every single run (and I'm generally paranoid about not letting my kittens starve to death), but I don't think I've ever built a single AI Core?? So I really have no idea how long it should take normally.
and
The Society for Evasionary Action in Literature (and Jesus)

QUIRKS.CPP

InspectorCaracal

Post by InspectorCaracal »

Oh no I broke the spoiler styling

That's my secret, Cap. I'm always bad at computers.

corvabird

Post by corvabird »

I have just started playing Wildermyth, which I can say the first story of is well-written, cute, and fun, and that the only other story I have tried to play is word-salad, linear, and boring. I love the concept for the game though and if any of the other stories are as good as the first one it's well worth a play!

I've just downloaded Book of Travels, a self-described TMORPG (Tiny Multiplayer Online Role-playing Game) and I'm quite looking forward to trying it!

And of course I'm still deep into SAP!
Boo!

senbonzakura

Post by senbonzakura »

corvabird wrote:
Sat 01 Jan, 2022, 11:03 am
I've just downloaded Book of Travels, a self-described TMORPG (Tiny Multiplayer Online Role-playing Game) and I'm quite looking forward to trying it!

And of course I'm still deep into SAP!
Book of Travels looks fun, I think I might try it out later too. It sounds extremely familiar, but I'm not sure if I'm thinking of a different game in the genre or not.... I'm thinking of a Kickstarter ages ago, so it could go either way? **edit - I found the pictures and it IS the same game! I can't believe I didn't hear about it coming out!! (Well. For early access.)

I've been branching out in SAP lately trying to master what I'm calling "bomb squads" after having been inspired by the Hedgesplosion builds. It's slow going, but it's fun, even though I fail a lot. >.>
it is surprisingly difficult to find good low-res image motifs to put in one's signature these days

senbonzakura

Post by senbonzakura »

Oooh, yikes, I just read the post about having to let go over 2/3 of their company because of the Book of Travels early-access launch not being successful enough... That sucks, but it looks like they kind of failed on the promotional side. You can't even tell the game is purchasable from their official website. I hope they manage to recover and learn from this, I'd hate to see the game die at this point.
it is surprisingly difficult to find good low-res image motifs to put in one's signature these days

InspectorCaracal

Post by InspectorCaracal »

I'm laughing so hard right now at this achievement omg
Attachments
longcreation.png
longcreation.png (76.44 KiB) Viewed 1568 times

That's my secret, Cap. I'm always bad at computers.

corvabird

Post by corvabird »

senbonzakura wrote:
Sat 01 Jan, 2022, 9:35 pm
Oooh, yikes, I just read the post about having to let go over 2/3 of their company because of the Book of Travels early-access launch not being successful enough... That sucks, but it looks like they kind of failed on the promotional side. You can't even tell the game is purchasable from their official website. I hope they manage to recover and learn from this, I'd hate to see the game die at this point.
Joh learned about it *from* an article about that happening. D: It was already on my wishlist at that point but still ...

It's such a gorgeous and original game but that is a frightening mis-step. The idea that you can't even tell the game is purchaseable from their site *right now* is not encouraging though ...
Boo!

corvabird

Post by corvabird »

InspectorCaracal wrote:
Sun 02 Jan, 2022, 12:50 am
I'm laughing so hard right now at this achievement omg
2 hours!

I mean, there was definitely a lot to go through but the lack of appearance and species options really sped up the process for me. XD I have been known to spend 2 hours in character creation but I was faster with this one!

Amazing rare achievement get!
Boo!

corvabird

Post by corvabird »

Okay so @senbonzakura I am obsessed with this game? It's so slow and quiet and the world feels so full and interesting. I've definitely encountered bugs but it doesn't *feel* buggy because it's so beautiful.

Now I know the company is struggling, I'm tempted to stream it, but I wasn't before because I treasure the quiet of my travels (sometimes interspersed with threat and danger, but usually not).

Also I have found out how to replenish life petals if you need one, and I know where you can learn to wear armour and wield weapons if you intend to go down that path (I am not planning to just yet, although this is the first game where pacifist route is more natural than combat, which is tempting me toward combat!)

Also I got perma-cursed by a bugged ghost. I might need to fight the ghost to break it, if it even comes off.
Boo!