Today I Learned

Talk about whatever!
skysailor

Re: Today I Learned

Post by skysailor »

TIL about Teddy Boy fashion, which was/is basically greasers meet Edwardian https://www.google.com/search?q=teddy+b ... 67&dpr=1.5

skysailor

Post by skysailor »

If you'd like some lighthearted wonder this morning, apparently the costumes in Muppet Christmas Carol (including and especially the ones on the puppets!) were very detailed and very historically accurate. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9O_mL1X4UMI

LilFluff

Post by LilFluff »

As mentioned on Ping earlier today: it turns out KFC and DC comics got together to do some Colonel Sanders comics, The Colonel of Two Worlds and KFC Crisis Of Infinite Colonels. Found via a post on twitter that had a page from the second in which the original Colonel walks into a wasteland KFC run by a chicken Colonel, and introduces himself by asking if he can test their gravy (with the poster noting that Colonel Sanders was apparently known for going to franchise locations and berating them if the gravy wasn't up to his standards).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonel_S ... Beyond_KFC

InspectorCaracal

Post by InspectorCaracal »

Not so much a "today I learned" as a "today I realized" but y'all Disney's The Little Mermaid is a portal fantasy

No no hear me out. You got this teenage girl protagonist. She feels stifled by her life and unappreciated by her family. She indulges in escapism by imagining what it's like in this "fantasy world" she reads(??) about, up on land where these fantastical people called Humans who have Two Arms and Two Legs live, with their wonderful abilities like Dancing and Fire.

And then she gets turned into a human and dumped in the middle of Human Land!

And then the end is all about whether she's going to go back to Mermaid Land or not!

It's totally a portal fantasy, it's just inverted from usual.

That's my secret, Cap. I'm always bad at computers.

skysailor

Post by skysailor »

InspectorCaracal wrote:
Fri 05 Nov, 2021, 4:57 pm
Not so much a "today I learned" as a "today I realized" but y'all Disney's The Little Mermaid is a portal fantasy

No no hear me out. You got this teenage girl protagonist. She feels stifled by her life and unappreciated by her family. She indulges in escapism by imagining what it's like in this "fantasy world" she reads(??) about, up on land where these fantastical people called Humans who have Two Arms and Two Legs live, with their wonderful abilities like Dancing and Fire.

And then the end is all about whether she's going to go back to Mermaid Land or not!

Wait is The Little Mermaid basically a Kate & Leopold?

InspectorCaracal

skysailor wrote:
Fri 05 Nov, 2021, 5:49 pm
InspectorCaracal wrote:
Fri 05 Nov, 2021, 4:57 pm

Wait is The Little Mermaid basically a Kate & Leopold?
*opens mouth*

*pauses and thinks*

*thinks some more*

...... YES.

Anke

Post by Anke »

Today I learned: Baby cassowaries look like someone drew cartoon ears on them
https://bunjywunjy.tumblr.com/post/6671 ... assowaries

InspectorCaracal

TIL Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was raised Catholic by Irish Catholic parents

skysailor

Post by skysailor »

TIL how to reheat a frozen steam bun in the microwave so it tastes excellent. Pour a little bit of water into a mug, set the bun on top of the mug, and microwave. For a full-sized nikuman, 2 minutes. For a smaller bun, 1 minute seems to do the trick.

https://japantoday.com/category/feature ... -microwave

skysailor

Post by skysailor »

Wait omg
8x0.01x25=25x0.01x8... whoa.
FB_IMG_1641483301440.jpg
FB_IMG_1641483301440.jpg (46.53 KiB) Viewed 1439 times