(Quest) OVERDRAFT: Fined Out

Talk about whatever!
senbonzakura

(Quest) OVERDRAFT: Fined Out

Post by senbonzakura »

All right, so. This story-game is going to be built heavily on the Fate system. You don't need to know how to play Fate to participate, but I'll be using game terminology and mechanics for how the characters are built and how the reader choices play out so if you've never played or need a refresher, here's the rules overview.
How To Play!
Reader interactions will take the form of text polls. I'll post a question with some options at the bottom of each update, which will look like this:

Poll #0
Is this a real poll?
[ ] No
[ ] Also no
[ ] Still nope

When you reply, all you need to do is indicate which option you want to pick. A couple suggestions:

Quote the poll with your choice marked
Poll #0
Is this a real poll?
[ ] No
[X] Also no
[ ] Still nope
Write in the poll # and your choice in your reply
Poll #0: Also no

(Anything that makes it easy for me to tell which choice you're voting for, works.)

If a poll has an option of WRITE-IN, that means it's open-ended and you can write in your own options. If it doesn't have a WRITE-IN option, write-in votes will be ignored.

If you change your vote, EDIT YOUR ORIGINAL POST. Please don't post again with your new vote, it'll just make things harder for me to count. (A post mentioning that you changed your vote to let other people you might be discussing the poll with know about the change is fine, but don't vote again in that post. Edit the first one and mention that you edited it.)

THE SETTING

This story is taking place within my custom Fate setting and build: Overdraft. Short description: it's an urban fantasy cyberpunk dystopia. The overarching issues for the game are descriptive of the setting:

Cyber-Corporate Dystopia

Tearing Down the VEIL

The first issue is self-evident. The second issue is representing the ongoing conflict between VEIL - an organization determined to keep the magical underworld a secret - and elements of said magical underworld who hate living in the shadows.

Overdraft is about putting together a team behind the VEIL to engage in quasi-legal jobs. These jobs could be helping VEIL's efforts, serving the interests of some corporate leader who is secretly wisp-kin, or something else entirely, but they're almost never explained properly.
Last edited by senbonzakura on Sun 13 Sep, 2020, 9:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
it is surprisingly difficult to find good low-res image motifs to put in one's signature these days

senbonzakura

Character Info

Post by senbonzakura »

TBD
Last edited by senbonzakura on Sun 13 Sep, 2020, 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
it is surprisingly difficult to find good low-res image motifs to put in one's signature these days

senbonzakura

Fined Out: Poll #1-3

Post by senbonzakura »

Character Types
There are four types of people that characters can be; two of them are what are known as wisp-kin. Wisps are magical entities that are naturally "born" of any sufficiently dense concentration of a "natural element" (Light, shadows, water, mist, trees, dirt, concrete, etc.) - and wisp-kin are people who share the nature of a wisp.

Vampires are the result of a wisp bonding with a corpse. (Technically it can be any animal corpse, but the human ones are generally most successful due to the higher cognitive abilities.) They don't have their own life-force to support their physical form, so they need to consume that of other living beings by drinking their blood. They don't have any memories from before they were "born", but have most of the internalized knowledge of the body's former inhabitant.

Witches are the result of a wisp bonding with a live human being. (Wisps can bond with other living creatures as well but they all generally develop their own bestiographical or cryptid records.) The wisp essentially becomes the witch's familiar, and can either exist in a semi-materialized form or fuse its power into its witch, at the will of the witch.

There are also entities known as spirits, which are wisps who become powerful and complex enough to develop sapience on their own. I don't have mechanics built for playing a Spirit, so that's not an option for now.

Wispers are humans who have learned to manipulate wisps to work for them. The method can and usually does vary widely from one Wisper to another.

And the fourth type of person is simply a human, with no magical ability whatsoever but who somehow wound up behind the Veil with the supernaturals.
Poll #1
The MC should be a...
[ ] Human
[ ] Wisper
[ ] Vampire
[ ] Witch

Character Roles
The team will have four characters, each of which fits one of the following roles.

The Hacker: Computers, AI, and technical infiltration expert. Top skills: Hack, Notice, Burglary

The Hitter: Big guns and the other kind of big guns. Top skills: Athletics, Physique, Shoot

The Investigator: What it says on the tin. Good at finding out information. Top skills: Academics, Investigate, Stealth

The Negotiator: Skilled at manipulation, knows everyone or at least can convincingly fake it. Top skills: Deceive, Empathy, Rapport
Poll #2
The MC's role should be...
[ ] The Hacker
[ ] The Hitter
[ ] The Investigator
[ ] The Negotiator

Poll #3
Suggest a name and a physical appearance or aesthetic. I'll shuffle them and use the first 4 results for the team.
[ ] WRITE-IN!

Poll Ends Sunday, 20 Sept

LynKit

Re: (Quest) OVERDRAFT: Fined Out

Post by LynKit »

Poll 1: [x] Wisper
Poll 2: [x] hitter
Poll 3: [x] Jean(nne), aesthetic prairie gothic, physically appears to be all elbow and knee.

Bee

Post by Bee »

Poll #1
Wisper
Poll #2
The Negotiator
Poll #3
Dee. Short and pudgy. Dark mori.
and
The Society for Evasionary Action in Literature (and Jesus)

QUIRKS.CPP

daHob

Post by daHob »

Poll #1
The MC should be a...
[X] Human

Poll #2
[X] The Hacker

Poll #3
Suggest a name and a physical appearance or aesthetic. I'll shuffle them and use the first 4 results for the team.

Caliban. Paraplegic (has a degenerative nerve condition, possibly the result of viral weapons testing, that prevents cybernetic leg replacement), but bypasses their limitations by operating on the net and through a constellation of drones.

rix_scaedu

Post by rix_scaedu »

Poll1: Witch

Poll2: Investigator

Poll3: Name: goes by Chris. Has a number of aliases & does not give out (her?) full real name. Height - short end of normal. Wears clothes with lots of useful pockets. At least half the pockets have things in them.

LilFluff

Post by LilFluff »

Poll #1
The MC should be a...
[ ] Human
[X] Wisper
[ ] Vampire
[ ] Witch

Character Roles
Poll #2
[X] The Hacker
[ ] The Hitter
[ ] The Investigator
[ ] The Negotiator

Poll #3
[X] Wesley Smith, quite short with orangish hair (color #ff5500) that has been pulled into a mowhawk dutch braid, a little bulky for height but not to a degree that makes it obviously fat or muscle.

senbonzakura

Post by senbonzakura »

Since I've gotten the minimum 4 votes now, I've officially set the poll to end this next Sunday.

LynKit

Post by LynKit »

At least the votes aren't completely for different things.