Fun Stuff!

Talk about whatever!
InspectorCaracal

Fun Stuff!

Post by InspectorCaracal »

I'm starting a thread to share fun links! This is it!

That's my secret, Cap. I'm always bad at computers.

InspectorCaracal

Re: Fun Stuff!

...Anyway. I've been coaxed out of my "oh no, I messed up" avoidance spiral of the past few days by this new video from Hyundai buying Boston Dynamics, it's great.

Bee

Post by Bee »

InspectorCaracal wrote:
Tue 29 Jun, 2021, 3:47 pm
...Anyway. I've been coaxed out of my "oh no, I messed up" avoidance spiral of the past few days by this new video from Hyundai buying Boston Dynamics, it's great.
omg that was adorable
and
The Society for Evasionary Action in Literature (and Jesus)

QUIRKS.CPP

InspectorCaracal

Bee wrote:
Wed 30 Jun, 2021, 3:50 pm
InspectorCaracal wrote:
Tue 29 Jun, 2021, 3:47 pm
omg that was adorable
RIGHT??? I loved every bit of it lmao

InspectorCaracal

Dev screenshot from my beekeeping mod
the bees.jpg
the bees.jpg (75.18 KiB) Viewed 10274 times

corvabird

Post by corvabird »

bees!
Boo!

InspectorCaracal

corvabird wrote:
Thu 08 Jul, 2021, 8:27 pm
bees!
The bees are great! 8) I actually just started with "I don't want my bees to get angry but an open flame campfire might HURT them, can I just... make a new bee smoker block...??" and figured since I'm making a mod anyway, I'd add in wood variant hives and ~bee hibernation~ ('cause I like to play with a mod that adds seasons)

I got a few other ideas I wanna put in*, but I think I'm gonna release a v1.0 with just those three features. So probably within the next day or two, since the hibernation is the only one of those three main points I haven't done yet. Which is pretty exciting??

* I want to make a portable tool that you can use on a hive to temporarily smoke it, letting you harvest from wild bee nests on the go or have a nicer-looking farm hive layout without needing smoker blocks. But that idea is proving to be Basically Impossible. I also am toying with the idea of having flavoured honey - crafting honey with a flower is the easy way to implement it, but what I really wanna do is have the variety of honey be determined by the flowers the bees gather nectar from, which is substantially trickier but probably doable?

corvabird

Post by corvabird »

InspectorCaracal wrote:
Thu 08 Jul, 2021, 8:56 pm

The bees are great! 8) I actually just started with "I don't want my bees to get angry but an open flame campfire might HURT them, can I just... make a new bee smoker block...??" and figured since I'm making a mod anyway, I'd add in wood variant hives and ~bee hibernation~ ('cause I like to play with a mod that adds seasons)

I got a few other ideas I wanna put in*, but I think I'm gonna release a v1.0 with just those three features. So probably within the next day or two, since the hibernation is the only one of those three main points I haven't done yet. Which is pretty exciting??

* I want to make a portable tool that you can use on a hive to temporarily smoke it, letting you harvest from wild bee nests on the go or have a nicer-looking farm hive layout without needing smoker blocks. But that idea is proving to be Basically Impossible. I also am toying with the idea of having flavoured honey - crafting honey with a flower is the easy way to implement it, but what I really wanna do is have the variety of honey be determined by the flowers the bees gather nectar from, which is substantially trickier but probably doable?
Okay I *completely* missed that this is a MOD YOU ARE MAKING omg :O This is so cool? I am especially excited by the idea of bee hibernation and flavoured honey!

Honestly I almost exclusively play vanilla Minecraft when I play so the way I deal with bees (since I don't want to burn them) is to steal the honey and run like hell because if they sting me they die. I would describe this as less than ideal.
Boo!

InspectorCaracal

corvabird wrote:
Sat 10 Jul, 2021, 11:17 am
Honestly I almost exclusively play vanilla Minecraft when I play so the way I deal with bees (since I don't want to burn them) is to steal the honey and run like hell because if they sting me they die. I would describe this as less than ideal.
I play with minimal mods 'cause I like farming too much lmao and also my fave seasons mod finally made the conversion to post-1.13 - so it's really kinda like vanilla++ more than most people's modded MC. If you're curious, here's my current mod list!
  • AppleSkin - shows you your saturation and hunger and also adds tooltips to food items
  • Cooking For Blockheads - adds kitchen stuff and a recipe book
  • Genetic Animals - adds animal breeding genetics and makes husbandry slightly more realistic, still in dev
  • Hunger Mechanics - lets me get hungry faster so food is still meaningful when not playing combat
  • HWYLA - shows info on blocks you're looking at
  • InControl - lets you define the rules for mobs spawning, e.g. stop any hostile mobs from spawning
  • Serene Seasons - adds SEASONS!!!
  • Simple Farming - adds new foods and brewing, but like, in a manageable way, just enough new things to make it an interesting degree of variety instead of the "oh god why is there so much of everything" effect I get from the cornerstone food mod, Pam's Harvestcraft, lol
Of all those, the only ones that actually add new content or mechanics are Cooking For Blockheads, Genetic Animals, Serene Seasons and Simple Farming. Well, and my mod once I wrap the beta up today lol. And unless you like, SUPER like breeding/inheritance sims, taking out Genetic Animals and going with the triad of Serene Seasons, Simple Farming and Cooking for Blockheads is imo the perfect extension to unmodded minecraft's farming and food gameplay.

The other half of the mods I use are just UI enhancements or back-end rules tweaking because I have a very specific way I like to play minecraft re: hunger and combat

InspectorCaracal

Stumbled back across Puddle's Pity Party again this weekend with this wonderful gem.

I feel like Ellie in particular would enjoy this if she's around.