Planet Recipe Book

Talk about whatever!
skysailor

Planet Recipe Book

Post by skysailor »

Post your recipes here! I know we had an existing thread, but it was more themed. This is just for anything delicious that you have cooked and enjoyed. If you want to include calories, put them under a spoiler tag so people can choose whether or not to view those. I'll start:

New Potato Soboro Stew from Kyou no Ryouri May 2021 Issue

Serves 6-8
Spoiler
210 calories as written
I used different ingredient quantities based on what I had around and what I remembered to do, so I'll note those with <-- notes.

Kitchen Tool:
  • Drop lid - A lid smaller than your pot, so it drops down inside the pot. These can also be jerry-rigged out of foil or parchment paper: https://www.justonecookbook.com/how-to- ... oshi-buta/ (strongly recommended)
  • Scum skimmer - a fine-mesh skimmer for scooping gunk out of broth (optional)
Ingredients:
  • New potatoes, 2 lb (1 kg) <-- 1 lb
  • Ground poultry, 1/2 lb (200 g) (crumbled tofu, cooked lentils, TVP, faux meat crumbles, tempeh, ground seitan might also work, but I have not tried them)
  • Peas, 1/2 lb (200 g)
  • Sugar, 6 tbsp <-- 3 tbsp
  • Salt, 2 pinches <-- 1 pinch
  • Soy sauce, 4 tbsp <-- 2 tbsp
  • Potato starch, 4 tbsp (probably fine to substitute corn starch or, if you're out, flour) <-- 2 tbsp
  • Water, 4 cups <-- 2 cups
Instructions:
  1. If you are doing one-pot cooking (slower, less dishes), add a pinch of salt to the green peas, boil them in water until cooked (5-10 min), drain, and set aside. Otherwise, do this later.
  2. De-eye the potatoes and cut into bite-sized chunks.
  3. Put the potatoes, ground poultry and water in a pot on the stove. Set to medium heat. With a pair of cooking chopsticks (or a spoon), mix the poultry and potatoes, breaking up the poultry.
  4. If multi-pot cooking (faster, more dishes), start the peas (see step 1).
  5. When the potato pot starts to boil, skim the scum off the top with the scum skimmer.
  6. Put the drop lid into the potato pot and set a timer for 10 minutes.
  7. If multi-pot cooking, drain the peas once cooked (5-10 min) and set aside.
  8. After the potato pot has cooked for 10 minutes, stir in the sugar and put the drop lid back in.
  9. After the potato pot has cooked for another 5 minutes, stir in the soy sauce and put the drop lid back in.
  10. After the potato pot has cooked for another 5 minutes, add the peas and stir.
  11. Optionally mix the potato starch with some hot water enough to dissolve. Add the potato starch to the potato pot and stir until incorporated. (I just dumped it straight in and it was great.)
  12. Enjoy delicious.

Kieran

Re: Planet Recipe Book

Post by Kieran »

That sounds delicious~

It wasn't anything nearly so exciting but I made my first mug cake last night. I was very impressed by how cake-like it is! It was from The Pioneer Woman's website and extremely simple. 3tbsp each of sugar, flour, milk, vegetable oil, 2tbsp cocoa powder, then a quarter tsp baking powder, pinch of salt, splash of vanilla. Mix dry, add wet, microwave for 90 seconds.

I made two mugs for the four of us and did a 50/50 split of regular cocoa and dutched cocoa because we ran out of regular cocoa. >.> And we topped it with whipped cream, although I think with the substitution of the dutched cocoa, it would've gone better with some vanilla ice cream instead. The whipped cream was just a little too mild to counter the stronger cocoa flavor.

Oh, also, we added chocolate chips. Semi-sweet for one, white chocolate for the other. I thought the white chocolate chips would be too sweet but that one I think they balanced the dutched cocoa on their own.

skysailor

Post by skysailor »

Omg y'all this issue of Kyou no Ryouri (May 2021) keeps churning out easy-to-make hits. This one is a simple stew. The original recipe was for chicken, shiitake, green onions and wasabi. I did tofu, king oyster mushrooms, green onions and yuzu kosho.

Ingredients:
  • Tofu, firm or extra-firm, 2 blocks
  • Flour
  • Dashi, 6 cups
  • Mirin, 1/2 cup
  • Soy sauce, 1/2 cup
  • Green onions
  • King oyster mushrooms, 1 package/4-8 oz
  • Yuzu kosho (optional)
Instructions:
  1. Press tofu for an hour. Drain off liquid.
  2. Cut tofu into thin bite-size triangles.
  3. Sprinkle flour on tofu with a mesh strainer.
  4. Boil dashi.
  5. Add mirin and soy sauce.
  6. Add tofu and put on lid.
  7. Hurriedly break up green onions into inch-long pieces.
  8. Hurriedly slice king oyster mushrooms into very thin slices.
  9. Dump it all into the broth.
  10. Cook 3 more minutes.
  11. Serve in a bowl. Mix in yuzu kosho as desired.

skysailor

Post by skysailor »

Goma Miso Yakitoufu
(Sesame Miso Seared Tofu)

Omg this is amazing. Soft with a bit of crunch. Blossoms with sesame flavor. Adapted from Kyou no Ryouri April 2021. (Changes: chicken -> tofu, dropped garlic.)

1. Cut one block of pressed-and-drained firm tofu into bite-sized pieces.
2. In a bowl, mix 2 tbsp each sugar, miso paste (I used white), ground/crushed white sesame seeds with 1 tsp each sake, soy sauce and sesame oil.
3. Gently dredge the tofu in the mix.
4. Put the tofu on skewers
5. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large, flat pan on medium heat.
6. Once hot, add the tofu skewers. Cook 2-3 min per side, or until it looks seared.
7.Omnomnom.

skysailor

Post by skysailor »

Pretty Pepper Stir-Fry

Adapted from the Just Bento Cookbook. Great both hot and cold. Freezer-friendly and easy to make from freezable ingredients. This is eyeballed (the original recipe's proportions were terrible, so I tried to guesstimate what I actually do), so trust the "roughly" notes over the literal measurements.

Ingredients/Pre-Prep (2-3 servings):
  • 1 lb chicken thigh/breast or firm tofu
    - Must thaw before cooking.
    - Cut into bite-sized chunks.
    - Can cut while peppers cook.
  • 1 red, orange or yellow bell pepper or 3 mini sweet peppers
    - Roughly, enough to cover the bottom of the pan.
    - Slice into long strips.
    - Can cook straight from freezer.
  • ¼ cup of onion
    - Roughly, a small handful.
    - Finely diced.
    - Can cook straight from freezer.
  • 1 knob of fresh ginger or a sprinkling of dried ginger
    - Finely diced or grated.
    - Can be cooked straight out of the freezer.
  • 3 tbsp soy sauce
    - Roughly, a splash until it colors the food somewhat.
  • 2 tbsp oil, divided in two
  • Salt
  • Pepper
Instructions:
  1. Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a frying pan/wok on medium-high.
  2. Once hot, put in the bell/sweet pepper, using a splatter screen to avoid getting hit by hot oil. Cook, stirring occasionally.
    a. Allegedly, sprinkle the salt on the bell/sweet pepper so it cooks faster.
  3. When the bell/sweet pepper has just started to brown, add in the onion and stir. Cook, stirring occasionally.
  4. Once the onion has browned a little, stir in the ginger, then shove the bell/sweet pepper and onion to the sides of the pan to clear the middle. Add in 1 tbsp of oil, then add in the chicken to the middle area. Let it sit for a little on one side so it browns a bit, then switch to occasional stirring, mixing with the other ingredients.
  5. Once the chicken has cooked (test by breaking a chunk in half and making sure it’s cooked through), add the soy sauce and pepper. Stir.
  6. Leave to cook until the liquid has mostly boiled down.
  7. Serve hot or cold, with rice.

skysailor

Post by skysailor »

Been doing a pantry/freezer cleanout, so here's recipes!

Seared/steamed potstickers:
1. Take any brand of frozen Asian dumplings (jiaozi/gyoza/mandu), doesn't have to say potsticker on it.
2. Start a small pan with some sesame oil until hot.
3. Put as many dumplings as you want to eat in the pan.
4. Pour in a few tablespoons to a quarter-cup of water and cover.
5. Cook for five minutes.
6. Take the cover off and cook until the water's boiled off and they're as crispy as you want them to be on the bottom.

Naked tomato sauce (the seeding and infusion steps are optional): https://smittenkitchen.com/2011/08/naked-tomato-sauce/

Persimmon sorbet:
1. Freeze a falling-apart-ripe Hachiya persimmon.
2. Microwave 1-2 min on Defrost mode.
3. Scrape off the skin with a spoon and dig in.

Broth bag chicken broth:
1. As you go about your life, cooking time to time, stick scraps in a bag in the freezer. Leftover herbs, what's left on a chicken after you've cut off the meat you wanna eat, bits of various vegetables (check online whether they're good for broth or no, some make it real bitter), carrot peels, etc.
2. Dump it all straight from the freezer into a pressure cooker/Instant Pot.
3. Pour on enough water to cover.
4. Cook on broth/high pressure for 2 hours.
5. Strain out the stock ingredients and keep the liquid.
6. Add salt to taste while it's still hot.

Chicken and stufflings:
1. Add fresh or frozen chicken (breast or thighs) into a slow cooker with enough chicken broth to cover. Slow-cook overnight.
2. Make stuffing from the directions on the package. (If you don't have that, you could use biscuit dough instead, no need to precook: https://acowboyswife.com/rotisserie-chicken-and.../)
3. Open up the slow cooker and take the chicken one by one out onto a plate/tray. Shred with a fork, then put it back into the pot.
4. Coat the cooked stuffing in starch or flour. Add the cooked stuffing/raw biscuit dough to the pot.
5. Keep adding starch/flour in slurries or through a sieve while cooking down the broth until it looks like chicken and dumplings.

Apple pie (keep in mind I ain't actually eaten the results yet and this is my first time trying this recipe):
1. Take six apples, quarter them, cut out the cores, and cut into half-cm/quarter-inch slices. (I used a mandoline.)
2. Dump the apples in a pot. Start the pot on medium-low until hot.
3. Add 3-4 rounds of lemon (or, if you're like me and forgot to get a lemon, a tablespoon of lemon juice and some hopes and wishes) and 300 g (cup and a half) of sugar. Stir.
4. Once liquid starts to come out, stick on a lid that's smaller than your pot so it sits down on the apples. Cook it for 10 minutes, stirring sometimes.
5. Take the lid off, stir, and cook it for another 15 minutes.
6. Cool the filling and thaw two frozen pie crusts to room temperature.
7. Cut up one of the pie crusts for the lattice top and dump the filling into the other one. Sprinkle a bunch of cinnamon powder on the filling. Add the lattice top and brush the lattice top with egg yolk.
8. Bake at 450F for 20 min and then turn the temperature down to 400F. Bake for another 15-20 min.

skysailor

Post by skysailor »

Nooch popcorn (fantastically cheesy flavor but doesn't actually have cheese; I rec halving the salt): https://www.gimmesomeoven.com/best-butt ... opcorn.../

Sukiyaki sauce:
4 parts dashi stock
2 parts soy sauce
1 part mirin (can substitute sweet wine)
1 part sake (can substitute dry wine)
sprinkle sugar on the beef before cooking

skysailor

Post by skysailor »

I've been putting together my favorite recipes for my cooking binder and realized, hey, might as well share: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing All vegetarian except the unagi.

katrani

Post by katrani »

I'll be cooking a valentine's dinner for H. tomorrow, can't decide between honey steaks or risotto-stuffed squash, but whatever I do this is a reminder for myself to put down the recipe afterwards.

(Also Ciel stop making such delicious-sounding stuff I do not have time to try all of these immediately :v)

katrani

Post by katrani »

Turns out I did both, kinda!

So, Honey-Marinated Steak Risotto Stuffed Squash

For the ingredients, i didn't really measure/wound up with too much risotto so yanno, feel free to adjust. This is what I got for for 2 big-appetite and 2 small-appetite folks, with some leftovers. I also probably would've used mushrooms, but was cooking for someone with allergies so skipped it this time.
Ingredients
4 acorn squash
2 cups arborio rice
4 cups broth
Asparagus
About 2 pounds of some type of beef roast, or whatever cut you prefer for stew
Honey
Lemon juice
Olive oil, spices (I went cajun-style but herby would work well too)
2 shallots
1 head of garlic
1-2 tbsp butter
1 cup chopped/slivered nuts (I did almonds)
1-2 cups of a nutty cheese- I used a swiss/gruyere mix
Instructions
Chop the meat, shallots, and garlic.
Put into a bowl together, toss with spices, then add a bit lemon juice and some honey. Just enough to glaze it really, doesn't need to be a full soak style of marinade.

Cut the squash in half. It's easier if you make small cuts/holes along where you plan to cut with your knife, then microwave for 2-3 minutes.
Remove the seeds and inner flesh.
Rub the insides with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
Put cut-side down on a baking sheet, and cook at 425 for 20-30 minutes, until soft.

While the squash is cooking, start the risotto.
Chop the asparagus, discarding the woody ends.
Warm the broth.
Using a large skillet or short and wide pot, saute the meat, garlic, and shallots in the butter.
When the meat's about medium, add the nuts and rice. Stir, so the rice gets coated in what's left of the butter.
After a minute or two, add about a cup of the heated broth. Stir occasionally until it's absorbed. Repeat.
After the second cup of broth, add the asparagus.
If needed, add more spices and lemon juice about now, to taste.
Keep slowly adding broth until the rice has either stopped absorbing liquid or you've used all of it.
The meat should now be well done but still juicy, the rice should be al dente, and it should all be super yummy.
I actually like it if it has a bit of extra liquid at this point, so that some extra flavor will soak into the squash.

After 20-30 minutes, the squash should be mostly tender. Check with a fork!
Flip them over.
Layer the risotto and cheese into each squash half, then return to the oven for about 10 more minutes.
Let cool slightly, and enjoy.