Webtoons!

The place to talk about web comics, web serials, fanfiction, and any other kind of stories posted on the internet.
Forum rules
Tag your spoilers!
InspectorCaracal

Re: Webtoons!

Post by InspectorCaracal »

Bee wrote:
Wed 10 Jan, 2024, 1:45 am
@InspectorCaracal I'm happy to report that Yangil continues to be a non-issue. He's mildly annoying at times and will probably learn a lesson or two soon, but he's no real threat.

And the are a few scenes that more than make up for any anxiety!! 🥰
oh good! thank you for the reassurance :yellow_heart: i'll resume it tonight

That's my secret, Cap. I'm always bad at computers.

InspectorCaracal

picked up Smitty and Majesty again instead to fill my blonde bishounen quota lol

don't remember why I dropped it to begin with tbh, it's adorable

InspectorCaracal

@LilFluff I absently picked this up today and it made me think of you lol https://www.webtoons.com/en/canvas/youv ... _no=383661

LilFluff

Post by LilFluff »

InspectorCaracal wrote:
Wed 24 Jan, 2024, 7:05 am
@LilFluff I absently picked this up today and it made me think of you lol https://www.webtoons.com/en/canvas/youv ... _no=383661
Cats, with thumbs!

The opening seems vaguely familiar, I wonder if I ran across it prior to using Piperka. Thanks for the link!

InspectorCaracal

LilFluff wrote:
Wed 24 Jan, 2024, 5:52 pm
InspectorCaracal wrote:
Wed 24 Jan, 2024, 7:05 am
Cats, with thumbs!

The opening seems vaguely familiar, I wonder if I ran across it prior to using Piperka. Thanks for the link!
they also have a spinoff comic called Katzen-Jammer which the title sounded familiar, have you read that one?

InspectorCaracal

YOOO FOR MY DERELICT FAVORITE IS BAAAACK

InspectorCaracal

InspectorCaracal wrote:
Sat 27 Jan, 2024, 10:59 pm
YOOO FOR MY DERELICT FAVORITE IS BAAAACK
generally I've found that these "I got transported into the world of my favorite light novel series" stories are terrible and same-y but this one continues to bring me nothing but joy and delight

the heroine is an immensely relatable and devoted fangirl bringing thorough but often petty vengeance upon the original novel's two primarily leads while attempting to take care of and bring The Attention And Credit He Deserves back to her favorite, the second male lead of the original, and nobody feels flat and caricatured and none of the events feel like they're being forced and the characters all wear different outfits all the time and they're so nicely designed and it's this great mix of slow-burn romance and political intrigue and I JUST REALLY LOVE THIS SERIES OKAY

i feel like the fact that the heroine has an Agenda and that the events of the series are all after the original fictional novel series saves it from most of the common pitfalls of the overall genre: obnoxious love triangles, flatly villainous antagonists just to drive the story along, "I'm the villain in the story but actually the female lead is a terrible person", yadda yadda

instead, all of the negative characteristics of the "female lead" of the fictional LN series are like. they're more like a natural consequence of the events that built through the original story. she doesn't feel like a villain, she feels like a tragic heroine being brought down by her own critical character flaw she refuses to acknowledge. instead of just being all "la la i'm secretly a terrible manipulative person like all the other blonde Female Lead Of A Fictional Light Novel" you can see she started out as a refreshingly honest, kind and straightforward person who's being slowly twisted and broken by her own hypocrisy and it's just.

i love this. i love how the webtoon heroine is enacting her revenge by taking advantage of this character's own flaws, using the social politics of the nobility and aristocracy to her advantage, and doing it by dint not just of some ephemeral ~charisma~ but through HARD WORK and DETERMINATION. she studies! she keeps notes! she has a tutor who advises her on how to win social favor and the right forms of behavior! the whole series is super pretty, a lot of fun, and SUCH SATISFYING SOCIAL POLITICS

p.s. the former male lead is also targetted for his fair share of revenge by Hestia, but I don't think he has the same kind of tragic flaw to his character like Diane does. Which is another reason I love this??? like, yeah, he made some pretty lousy choices that led to the events which Hestia wants revenge for, but at the same time, you can see how he's still growing up into his role of the crown prince in terms of personal judgement and how he handles things, and the most delightful part is the interplay that this creates between himself and his wife, who is the Tragically Flawed Female Lead Character, and I need to stop writing up a whole essay about this series lmfao

tl;dr: not only are the main characters and allied side characters all delightful, but the antagonists, plot arcs, and conflicts therein are portrayed in a satisfying way as well!

Bee

Post by Bee »

Happy to report that 30 Minutes With You continues to be delightful and sweet and perfect even when it tackles very delicate topics.
and
The Society for Evasionary Action in Literature (and Jesus)

QUIRKS.CPP

InspectorCaracal

there's a "read the whole series this weekend by watching ads" event this weekend on a series i wanna read and the app won't let me keep watching ads 🥲

i submitted a bug report but uhhh.... yeah i'm not expecting anyone to actually read that lol

InspectorCaracal

InspectorCaracal wrote:
Sat 23 Mar, 2024, 7:43 pm
there's a "read the whole series this weekend by watching ads" event this weekend on a series i wanna read and the app won't let me keep watching ads 🥲

i submitted a bug report but uhhh.... yeah i'm not expecting anyone to actually read that lol
well I got it to work and Happily Ever Afterwards was exactly what I was hoping for. Very much enjoyed, no regrets.