Today I Learned

Talk about whatever!
LilFluff

Re: Today I Learned

Post by LilFluff »

Bee wrote:
Sat 16 Sep, 2023, 9:23 pm
Today I learned about cryptic crosswords and that made me think of @Alex and @thiskurt
I love the idea of making crosswords, especially cryptics. But, I haven't put in the time to actually get good at it. (My mind really loves to jump from potential hobby to potential hobby going, "Ooh! Shiny!") If you want to try your hand at it here's the software I found a few years back. QXW can be pointed at custom dictionary files and once you've assembled something you can export it in a couple of formats. https://www.quinapalus.com/qxw.html

Bee

Post by Bee »

LilFluff wrote:
Sun 17 Sep, 2023, 12:22 am
Bee wrote:
Today I learned about cryptic crosswords and that made me think of @Alex and @thiskurt
I love the idea of making crosswords, especially cryptics. But, I haven't put in the time to actually get good at it. (My mind really loves to jump from potential hobby to potential hobby going, "Ooh! Shiny!") If you want to try your hand at it here's the software I found a few years back. QXW can be pointed at custom dictionary files and once you've assembled something you can export it in a couple of formats. https://www.quinapalus.com/qxw.html
Oh WOW
and
The Society for Evasionary Action in Literature (and Jesus)

QUIRKS.CPP

Alex

Post by Alex »

Bee wrote:
Oh, yeah, those are very common here, and if you think I'm bad at the regular crossword, these are like giving me a lead pipe and a dog and telling me to fly.

Bee

Post by Bee »

Alex wrote:
Sun 17 Sep, 2023, 2:11 pm
Bee wrote:
Oh, yeah, those are very common here, and if you think I'm bad at the regular crossword, these are like giving me a lead pipe and a dog and telling me to fly.
the sense of humor still matches tho
and

QUIRKS.CPP

thiskurt

Post by thiskurt »

Bee wrote:
Because I make no sense?

I only know about cryptid crosswords from the Inside No. 9 episode and from a youtube channel called 'Cracking the Crytic' who solve sudokus and other puzzles (and at one point cryptics, hence the name, but not a lot anymore).

Bee

Post by Bee »

thiskurt wrote:
Thu 05 Oct, 2023, 7:14 pm
Bee wrote:
Because I make no sense?

I only know about cryptid crosswords from the Inside No. 9 episode and from a youtube channel called 'Cracking the Crytic' who solve sudokus and other puzzles (and at one point cryptics, hence the name, but not a lot anymore).
Is this Kurt or did the account get hacked???????
and

QUIRKS.CPP

thiskurt

Post by thiskurt »

Bee wrote:
Thu 05 Oct, 2023, 7:49 pm
thiskurt wrote:
Bee wrote:
Because I make no sense?

It's me and I have the best best upside down traffic cone cryptocurrency that will make you all rich.

Bee

Post by Bee »

thiskurt wrote:
Fri 06 Oct, 2023, 9:39 am
Bee wrote:
Thu 05 Oct, 2023, 7:49 pm
thiskurt wrote:

Because I make no sense?

It's me and I have the best best upside down traffic cone cryptocurrency that will make you all rich.
blobcatpeek
and

QUIRKS.CPP

LilFluff

Post by LilFluff »

Actually first spotted prior today, but via James Davis Nicoll I learned that a domesticated dog/pampas fox crossbreed was recently discovered. https://www.nationalgeographic.com/anim ... fox-hybrid

Anke

Post by Anke »

Today I learned that intertidal trapdoor spiders exist. That is spiders who live in holes in the ground below low tide and high tide waterlines.

https://www.tumblr.com/onenicebugperday ... intertidal

https://bioone.org/journals/the-journal ... -020.short